Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Quinoa Breakfast "Muffins"

In honor of school starting in less than 36 hrs, I decided to try something out as a breakfast/snack food for the girls!  I have plenty of stuff for meals, but not great stuff to pack in a lunch box or scarf down before school!  As much as we drink Shakeology for breakfast everyday, sometimes you want something different, and with the way my kids spill stuff, I'd rather give them something to chew while walking just in case we are flying out the door!!!  Shakeology is far too precious to let them spill walking down the hill!  So, I opened my fridge and saw leftover quinoa, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, eggs, and feta cheese...they seem to go well together so why not bake 'em off in a muffin form!???  So, these muffins were born.  They are PACKED with protein, whole grains, and veggies, and flavored with feta cheese which is Abby's favorite!!!  They also adhere to the Nut-free policy most schools have in place now...I just can't believe we can't do good 'ol PB&J anymore!!!!  Then again, with a peanut allergy myself, I get it, but still!!!  Just have to get awful creative!!!

 

Breakfast Muffins
2 c quinoa (cooked and cooled)
12 eggs
1/3 c organic milk
1 c feta cheese
2 c chopped veggies (of choice)
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk eggs and milk together and stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Scoop into greased muffin tins (I use coconut oil) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until cooked thru. 

You can freeze these and pack them in lunches so they are thawed out by lunch time, or heat them up and serve for breakfast!  You can change the cheese or use more egg whites in place of whole eggs...Either way, the kids will love them and your work for the week will be done in 45 minutes!!!!

XO, Enjoy


No comments: