Sunday, January 12, 2014

Paleo Curried Sweet Potato Soup

It is cold here, REALLY cold. I don't mind the cold and feel like I have actually gotten used to it. You just have to put on a lot more layers and wear a hat, scarf, mittens and coat EVERY TIME you go outside. I remember when I would get up before dawn to meet a girlfriend to run. I thought I was gonna die when the car thermometer said 42 degrees lol. Now, in Denver, that makes a great day to run! Anyhow, what warms the body AND soul better than homemade soup?? Nothing. I had sweet potatoes and coconut milk and chicken stock...hmmmm. I like the name bisque..the actual definition is "Bisque is a smooth, creamy, highly seasoned soup of French origin, classically based on a strained broth (coulis) of crustaceans" Basically that means it is made with shellfish stock and cream. I didn't put any shellfish stock, or real cream, but when I hear bisque, I think of an ultra smooth rich creamy soup and that's what this was :) Here's how I did it... PALEO CURRIED SWEET POTATO BISQUE Ingredients: 3-4 sweet potatoes cubed(I used 2 white sweet potatoes and 2 yams) 1 brown onion roughly chopped 2-3 garlic cloves sliced/chopped handful baby carrots or 1-2 large carrots cubed 1 celery stalk strung and chopped coconut oil 1 quart chicken stock (homemade or store bought) 1-2 cups coconut milk (unsweetened) 3 T curry powder 1 t cumin Salt and Pepper to taste white wine for cooking (optional) choloula or other hot sauce (optional) I cubed the sweet potatoes and yams, tossed them in a tablespoon of organic coconut oil and roasted them at 450 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. You will want to check on them every 10 or so to stir them around. I rough chopped the onions and sauteed them with more coconut oil, garlic and salt and pepper over medium heat. After about 5-7 minutes, I threw in the carrots and celery. I like to add the spices to the sauteing veggies, I think the taste comes out better. When the veggies looked very soft, I turned up the heat to high and threw in about a cup of white cooking wine. I scraped the bottom of the pan and let it all the alcohol cook out. Then I added the sweet potatoes and let them all cook together. When the liquid had evaporated, I added chicken stock and covered it. After cooking for another few minutes, I poured everything into the blender and pulverized it. Once it was completely smooth, I poured it back into pot, added the coconut milk and checked for seasoning. I let it warm through and then had a big bowl :) I dipped an organic rice cake into it...awesome! I wish I had some fresh herbs, cilantro or thyme or something...oh sage!!! Yum. You could top it with some greek yogurt if you are eating dairy. Or add some maple syrup and cinnamon to sweeten it a little more. You could even add other squash like acorn, butternut, or kabocha! I am thinking of adding some wilted kale tomorrow :) Keep warm and eat heartily, but healthfully!! XO, Christa (aka mrschef)

No comments: