Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sunday Morning Breakfast...Gluten and Dairy Free Pancakes and "Power Eggs"

This is a few days late, but maybe you can be ready for next weekend!! I wasn't feeling well, irritating sinus headaches so we stayed home from church. Abby decided we needed pancakes for breakfast...UGH...just what I wanted to do. Then I remembered I had fresh homemade almond milk and gluten free flour !! So I jumped out of bed and went to work. To my delight, I found homemade almond flour too!! It was from the almonds we used to make our milk!
Ingredients: 1/2 c GF AP Flour Blend (I used Glutino brand) 1/2 Organic Almond Flour (blanched preferred - I used homemade) 3 heaping T of Organic Evaporated Cane Juice (could use raw honey or maple syrup) 2 t GF Baking Powder 1/2 t Celtic or Sea Salt 1 c almond milk (I used homemade unsweetened vanilla) 1 Organic Egg lightly beaten 1 Organic Egg Yolk lightly beaten 1 t Organic GF Vanilla Extract 1 1/2 t Organic Coconut Oil (use Virgin Coconut oil for a more concentrated coconut flavor) Sift together dry ingredients. Make a well in the middle. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, eggs
(Abby is my EXPERT egg separator), vanilla, and oil until well combined. Add into the dry well until just combined. It should be a little lumpy.
Lightly grease a non-stick pan with olive or coconut oil over med-high heat. Pour batter about 1/4 c at a time. When small bubbles start to form on the surface they are ready to flip.
Cook on the second side for 1-2 minutes.
The girls topped theirs with butter and maple syrup. I put unsweetened apple butter on mine. I would have added chopped nuts, but got lazy. I went to take a picture after they were dressed and they were already being devoured and mine wasn't anything to look at, but holy cow!! Light, fluffy, perfect texture, a little nuttiness, and the perfect amount of sweet :) Of course I had to serve some protein as well. I had already cut up some leftover asparagus, broccolini, and sweet potatoes, so I thought it would be a perfect idea to just scramble it all together! I tossed in some chopped spinach too! Talk about a power combo! There was a fair amount of veggies so I used 8 eggs and decided it could be breakfast for 2 days for Matt and I! I recommend roasting the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes on each side prior to adding to the scramble. I tossed them in coconut oil and sea salt first.
Happy Sunday! XO, mrschef

No comments: